Diabetes poses serious health problems if it is not controlled at early stage. The cause of diabetes is due to inadequate production of insulin, which in turn results in raised levels of blood sugar in the body.
According to a research 7.8% people in USA are suffering from one or the other form of diabetes. If not controlled, diabetes can affect liver & kidney and in some cases it could harm all the organs of the body. Diabetes can result in other health problems such as-
- high blood pressure and
- high cholesterol etc.
Now-a-days even children are suffering from diabetes.
So, regular exercise and healthy eating is essential for diabetic people.
Tips for Healthy Eating:
- A diabetic person should consume carbohydrates between 45 to 60 grams per day. He/she should add or subtract carbohydrates depending upon how his/her body reacts. The intake of carbohydrates in limited proportions assists in maintaining levels of normal blood sugar.
- Eating green vegetables like spinach and broccoli must be included in the menu. As these vegetables help in providing vital nutrition to the body.
- The gylcemic-index should be maintained by a diabetic person. Food stuffs such as whole grains, some fruits, beans and vegetables that possess low gylcemic-index should be consumed. Precooked and canned food items should be avoided by the people suffering from diabetes.
- In case of diabetic people, beverages, sugary food items and snacks that contain high-fats must be avoided.
- Over-eating should be avoided.
- Consuming alcohol is absolutely no for diabetic people as drinking elevate the level of blood sugar which results in the stimulation of appetite. By adopting the policy of non-drinking helps to avoid habit of over-eating.
- Fried foods must be avoided.
- Eating salads while having lunch and dinner is a good habit.
- The food must be chewed and digested properly.
- 10. Each time while having meals a diabetic person should be aware of what he/she is eating.
A diabetic person should keep gadget like accu-check for keeping a check on the level of blood sugar in the body. Both high and low levels of blood sugar in a person can be serious and alarming.
Eating moderately is very essential not only for a diabetic person but for an average person too. So by eating healthy and proper exercise a diabetic person can maintain and control the level of blood sugar in the body.
Parents should pay attention to their children if they are becoming lethargy and overweight.